Thursday, May 31, 2007

Georgetown (Ohio, that is)

I finally got around to setting up a new blog so that my adoring public (that's you) can read all about my cross-country cycling adventure. Last night we went to see 28 Weeks Later, and I spent most of the movie with my hands clamped tightly over my ears. I had some stylistic problems with it, but overall I think it did a pretty good job of retaining the grittiness and pessimism of the original, although I think now the acoustic-guitar-0ver-montage-of-carnage-and-destruction thing is kind of played out. If they make another sequel (please, no) they should set everything to French house music, because 28 Months Later will clearly be set in Paris. Hopefully I didn't just ruin the end of the movie for everyone.
An hour and a half ago we rolled into Georgetown, OH, having left Portsmouth this morning. After lunch, my chain fell off right in front of a house with three very angry and very unleashed dogs. They didn't do much besides bark, so I got my chain back on with no trouble, but as we pedalled away I shouted, "I hope your dogs get shot in the head!" Then Adam pointed out that one of them only had three legs. Some people shouldn't be allowed to have pets.
Once we got into Georgetown, we checked out the local bikeshop, Mycle's Cycles, and were lavished upon with green apples and stories from the county's long history, from Indian massacres to runaway slaves. The Rankin House, a major stop along the Underground Railroad, is about 12 miles from here. One of the guys at the bike shop suggested that we bike there, but instead we walked across the street to the gas station and bought milkshakes, because drinking a milshake is just like visiting a national historic site. Take it from me--I'm a historian.
Tomorrow we depart for Cincinnati, and the day after that we have a build day (holla). Not that we don't all love cycling, but today was day seven of eight straight days in the saddle, and all of us could use the break. Furthermore, I'm personally looking forward to some big city excitement, including a) replacing the bite valve on my Camelbak b) buying a nice pair of sandals and c) paying way too much for trendy beer. Huzzah!

Highlights from the past few days:
-Elizabeth and I getting slapped on the ass my some guy passing us in a car
-the stupid woman in Blacksburg who gave me a two-block-long lecture on traffic signals through the passenger-side window of her MOVING car while I was riding my bike
-"I didn't know you could get an ulcer there."

3 comments:

jean said...

We are so proud of all you guys out there peddeling your little hearts out. Keep up the good work - looking forward to seeing you in Portland. Jean

eroyles said...

So there you are!Your grandmother called to give me the lowdown on this website. Great pictures and blog: I'm so proud of you and what you are doing this summer. Many talk of helping others; you and yours are doing something about it.
I see that Terre Haute is on the itinerary: I expect that you will troop everyone over to Eugene's house for a visit. Godspeed to you and the rest of the crew and I will check on your progress daily.
All my love, dad

jean said...

from Grandma Hope all is going well, it looks like you are really having quite an adventure and really seeing the country. Looking forward to more blogs, I really liked your pictures at the build and was that you with food hanging out of your mouth? I am copying some of the pictures off the computer for the Thank you letter I will send to various people (the one you will mention in your next blog) I enjoyed talking to your Dad and catching up on their news. Love ya, Grandma